Most of us throw away the watermelon rind and just have the red portion inside. Did you know that the white portion of the water melon is edible and tasty too? And not just tasty – it is chock full of nutrients – vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc.
Just peel off the green skin if you find it too hard for your palate. It can be chopped and cooked like ash gourd or any juicy gourd or sauteed and ground to chutney. Can be had raw as a salad or in curd pachadi too like cucumber. Please do try.
Please do this only with organically grown watermelons – with chemically grown ones it is not advisable to consume the outer green peel.
Watermelon Rind Recipe ideas
1. Watermelon’s white n green both parts are edible. If you feel green is hard, you can try the white part for sure – it can be used in salads just like cucumber and curries like north indian and south indian both.
2. Here is a nice watermelon rind recipe – http://chefinyou.com/recipe/watermelon-rind-kootu
3. Here is a sabzi using watermelon rind – https://www.zaykakatadka.com/recipe/watermelon-rind-sabzi/
4. Other than these recipes, you can replace ash gourd, raw papaya kind of vegetables in any curries with white part of melon. It gets cooked fast. Please check YouTube for more info.
5. One easy salad can be cut thin pieces of white part with a dressing of lemon, chilly powder, pepper powder n salt. Other than this you can grate or chop this and use in other salads like cucumber.
6. Chutneys, thoran/ poriyal can be made.
7. Concentrated within every piece of watermelon and heavily concentrated in the watermelon rind is an amino acid known as Citrulline. Citrulline promotes healthy circulation and the proper flow of blood. An easy way of using is to make juice out of watermelon rind – please have a look at this video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TADnG60QYwM
Hope this information helps you use the watermelon fruit completely without wasting any portion.