- 3 cups 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, at room temp (or almond milk)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook just until al dente, according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the flour to create a paste. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Increase the heat to medium and continue whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the pasta, stirring to combine, and cook just until the pasta is warmed through. Season to taste. Stir in the peas, if using, and serve.